Old Maps  
     Map Index England Scotland Wales Interactive Maps Bookshop  
 
  Home
  England
  Scotland
  Wales
  Google Town Maps
  Bookshop
  Sitemap
 
 

Canterbury

Canterbury, Kent, is located fifteen miles north west of Dover, with a population approaching forty thousand. A centre of religious pilgrimage from as early as the time of St Augustine, Canterbury’s first archbishop, in the early seventh century, Canterbury is now dominated by its magnificent cathedral, built in Norman times, which continues to attract visitors. Parts of the medieval city walls remain and the city has many buildings of historic interest, including the castle keep, St Martin’s Church and the ruins of St Augustine’s Abbey, dating from 602. The map below shows the features of the town of Canterbury as it was in the mid twentieth century. Click on a selected area of the map below to see an enlargement.


 
 Canterbury town map

Map of Canterbury

Old map of the city of Canterbury circa 1950

 
Click on the map below to enlarge
 

Map Key

Canterbury Map

The maps on this website have been reproduced with the permission of Collins Bartholomew

 
 
 
Home ] Map Index ] England ] Scotland ] Wales ] Google Town Maps ] Sitemap ] Links ] Privacy ]
 

copyright 2007  www.oldemaps.co.uk