Old Maps  
     Map Index England Scotland Wales Interactive Maps Bookshop  
 
  Home
  England
  Scotland
  Wales
  Google Town Maps
  Bookshop
  Sitemap
 
 

Brighton

Originating as a small fishing village, known as Brighthelmstone, Brighton’s modern growth and prosperity began in the mid eighteenth century, when local doctor, Richard Russell’s prescription of Brighton’s sea air and water as a cure for many ills was followed by increasing numbers of his patients. The Prince of Wales, later to become George IV, was so impressed by the town that, in 1787, he commissioned Henry Holland to build him a house by the sea, later to be redesigned by architect John Nash as the Royal Pavilion, Brighton’s now famous landmark. The town then became a fashionable resort characterised by many fine Regency and later Georgian buildings. In the nineteenth century, the railways made Brighton accessible to Londoners and its popularity as a holiday centre continues today with a large modern marina accommodating 2000 leisure craft, while Brighton’s University of Sussex, designed in the 1960s by Sir Basil Spence, attracts many students and foreign visitors. Brighton’s population now stands at around 160,000.


 
Brighton
 Brighton Town Map

Map of Brighton

Old map of the town of Brighton circa 1950

 
Click on the map below to enlarge
 

Map Key

Brighton Map

The maps on this website have been reproduced with the permission of Collins Bartholomew

 
 
 
Home ] Map Index ] England ] Scotland ] Wales ] Google Town Maps ] Sitemap ] Links ] Privacy ]
 

copyright 2007  www.oldemaps.co.uk