Old Maps  
     Map Index England Scotland Wales Interactive Maps Bookshop  
 
  Home
  England
  Scotland
  Wales
  Google Town Maps
  Bookshop
  Sitemap
 
 

Lostwithiel

Lostwithiel is a small Cornish market town, population around 3000, situated at the head of the Tamar estuary, on the road between Tavistock and Truro. Lostwithiel railway station lies on the Cornish main line. Once one of the most important stannary towns in the country, and capital of Cornwall in the thirteenth century, the town has since declined. Notable buildings include the eighteenth century guildhall and grammar school, St Bartholomew’s church and Restormel Castle, built in 1100 and a fine example of the military architecture of the time. The remains of the Stannary Court stand in Quay Street near a fine fifteenth century bridge. Today, the town has several antique shops and hosts a number of annual cultural events. The map below shows the features of the town, its streets and houses as they were in the mid twentieth century.


 
 Lostwithiel Town Map

Map of Lostwithiel

Old map of the town of Lostwithiel circa 1950

 
Click on the map below to enlarge
 

Map Key

Lostwithiel Map

The maps on this website have been reproduced with the permission of Collins Bartholomew

 
 
 
Home ] Map Index ] England ] Scotland ] Wales ] Google Town Maps ] Sitemap ] Links ] Privacy ]
 

copyright © 2007  www.oldemaps.co.uk